Legals Only Weddings
What is a Legals Only Wedding
Jamie and Cara offer legals only weddings to couples that simply want to be married without having a traditional wedding ceremony, or a large group of guests.
Given that this service includes just the minimum legal wording , instead of a personalised ceremony, we are able to offer this service at a reduced rate to our full bespoke wedding ceremonies.
Legals only weddings are perfect for:
– Couples that are having their ‘wedding’ overseas but would like the legalities of their marriage to take place in Australia to simplify the process of their overseas ‘wedding’ (commitment ceremony) and to ease the process of having their marriage recognised in Australia and changing their name through marriage.
– Anyone that would like to simply be married without the bells and whistles of a wedding or a traditional ceremony;
– Couples on fiancé visa’s that simply want to get married without the big wedding or any fuss;
– Couples who would like to be married in secret now, and perhaps announce it to their friends and family later;
– Couples who are bringing their planned marriage date forward as they need to get married ASAP for visa purposes, e.g. couples applying for an overseas visa that requires you to be married, so they would like to be married as soon as possible;
– Couples who would like to get married ASAP as they are expecting a baby and would like the baby born in to a family that share the same last name.
– Couples that would love to simply be married and are in need of a budget wedding or cheap wedding option now, perhaps with the intent to throw a wedding vow renewals party a few years down the track.
If this sounds like what you are looking for Contact Brisbane City Celebrants for more information and to confirm availability for your special day.
Please Note: Your marriage can take place anytime from 1 month after the date we meet.
This is because the official marriage paperwork known as the NOIM form must be completed and lodged with us (the Celebrant) no less than 1 calendar month before the date of your marriage.
How Much is a Legals Only Wedding?
As the requirements of couples choosing our ‘Legals Only’ option varies so much, we quote based on each couples requested marriage location, requirements and inclusions.
The information outlined here is for our most simple (and budget friendly!) option. Contact Brisbane City Celebrants or call/ SMS Jamie on 0433 774 789 for more information and for a quote for your short and simple legals only marriage.
What’s included in a Legals Only wedding?
A non ceremony ‘legals only’ marriage includes:
– All legal marriage paperwork
– This includes a very short legal ceremony, with either the minimal required wording, or with a little more to make it special. You also have the option of writing your own vows to each other and exchanging rings if you wish.
– Upon confirmation of your booking, we can provide you with a vow writing worksheet to assist you if you choose to write your own vows to each other. You will be provided with a word version of your legals only wedding so you know exactly what to expect on the day.
– We can provide a signing table if required.
– After your marriage has taken place you will be sent an email confirming that your marriage documents have been lodged with BDM QLD (the department that registers your marriage) and we will provide you with information on receiving your registry issued marriage certificate and guidance and a check list on changing your name through marriage.
– A Legals only marriage can take place where ever you like, however alternative locations to the suggested ‘legals only locations’ listed below may incur an additional fee, quoted upon request.
– 2 witnesses are required to officially witness your marriage, you can invite 2 people along to attend/ witness your marriage (it is preferred that witnesses to a marriage know the couple if possible) alternatively, we may be able to assist with providing 1 witnesses if need be.
Some couples hire a professional photographer who can also double as a witness.
If you are intending on inviting more than 6 guests to your legals only wedding, or would like your marriage to take place elsewhere additional costs may apply.
Note: ceremony music, microphone and a personalised ceremony is not included in our basic ‘legals only’ package. If you require these options, either an additional fee or our standard Celebrant fee applies, Contact Brisbane City Celebrants for more information.
Where can my ‘Legals Only’ wedding take place?
Your marriage can take place where ever you like. We have included some suggested Brisbane elopement locations below which are included in our standard ‘Legals only’ fee. An additional fee may apply for alternative locations.
For more information, photos and suggested elopement locations here head to elopements at Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha.
While New Farm Park has several designated sites that can be booked for weddings through Brisbane City Council, you may like to choose a spot that doesn’t need to booked through the council, like beneath a huge old tree or within the rose gardens. View a variety of New Farm Park elopements and ‘Legal only weddings’.
Shaded deck at private property in Indooroopilly
Our property in Indooroopilly has a shaded deck area with a lawn and greenery backdrop which can be hired for small elopements and legal only weddings. The ceremony décor like that pictured can also be quoted on request. View more at private property elopements and contact us for more information.
How long is a ‘Legals Only’ wedding?
As the ‘legals only’ wedding includes only the legal wording and the signing of marriage certificates, or if you like, a little extra wording to make it special, you can easily arrive and be on your way again within just 10 minutes or even less if you choose.
Can I bring a professional photographer?
Absolutely, some couples even ask their photographer to be one of their witnesses.
This couple hired a videographer to capture their ‘legals only’ style elopement wedding at the Mt Coot-tha Botanical Gardens, and we just love how Memories Film represented their long distance relationship in their beautiful wedding film.
The happy couple rated Jamie 5 stars and had this to say:
“5 STARS – working with Jamie was such a breeze. He helped us with all the document preparation in the lead up to our wedding, and also on the day. If we had a question, we always received a quick response. We had a small elopement with just the 2 of us and our witnesses. But really, no event is too big or small for him. 5 stars just don’t do him justice “
L & R – Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens Wedding with Brisbane City Celebrants Jamie Eastgate
Lisa & Ricky from memoriesfilm on Vimeo.
If a legals only wedding ceremony sounds like what you are looking for, we would love to hear from you. Contact Brisbane City Celebrants for more information and to confirm availability for your special day.
Images featured on this page are by Lover of Mine, Still Wild Love, Blank Canvas Photography and Picrama.