What is a Legals Only Wedding?
A legals only wedding is a very simplified version of a traditional wedding, usually with a very small number of guests, often just 2 witnesses, and including the minimal required wording, or a little more than just the bare minimum if our couples choose.
As Celebrants, we offer ‘legals only’ weddings to couples that simply want to be married without having a traditional wedding ceremony, or a group of guests present.
Given that this service includes a simple ceremony with minimal wording, instead of a fully personalised ceremony, we are able to offer legals only weddings at a reduced rate.
Legals only weddings are perfect for:
– Couples that are having their ‘wedding celebration’ overseas but would like the legalities of their marriage to take place in Australia to simplify the process of their overseas ‘wedding’ (the overseas wedding being a non-legal commitment ceremony) and to also simplify the process of having their marriage recognised in Australia, with the changing last name through marriage being a straight forward process.
– Anyone that would like to simply be married in a relaxed and stress-free way, without the bells and whistles of a full wedding or a traditional ceremony;
– Couples on fiancé visa’s that simply want to be married without the big wedding or any fuss;
– Couples who would like to be married in secret at this stage, in a relaxed stress-free ceremony, and perhaps announce it to their friends and family at a later time;
– Couples who are bringing their planned marriage date forward as they need to be married for visa purposes, e.g. applying for an overseas visa that requires you to be married, therefore you would like to be married as soon as possible, and as quickly as possible;
– Couples that would love to simply be married and are in need of a budget wedding or cheaper marriage option now, perhaps with the intent to throw a vow renewal party at a later date or on an anniversary.
If this sounds like what you are looking for Contact Us for more information and to confirm availability for your special day.
Please Note: Your marriage can take place anytime from 1 month after the date we receive your signed and witnessed NOIM form (Notice of Intended Marriage) This includes us receiving it electronically by email.
This is because it is a Government requirement for marriage in Australia, that the official marriage paperwork known as the NOIM form must be completed and lodged with us (your Celebrant) no less than 1 calendar month before the date of your marriage.
How much is a Legals only wedding?
The requirements of couples choosing our ‘Legals only’ option can vary, so while additional services, and weddings that take place at alternative areas to those listed within our elopement locations may attract additional charges, for your convenience, you will find our bare minimum legals only wedding pricing here.
What’s included in a Legals Only wedding?
The information outlined below, outlines our most simple (and cost effective) legals only marriage inclusions.
A non ceremony ‘legals only’ marriage includes:
– All legal marriage paperwork (pre-marriage paperwork and lodging of NOIM form, sighting the required ID and documents and on the day marriage certificates)
– Marriage can take place where ever you like, however alternative locations to the suggested ‘legals only locations’ listed below may incur an additional fee, quoted upon request.
– 2 witnesses are required to officially witness your marriage, you can invite 2 people along to attend/ witness your marriage or we may be able to assist with providing 1 or possibly 2 witnesses if need be.
Often our eloping and ‘legals only marriage’ couples hire a professional photographer who can also double as a witness.
– This includes a very short legal ceremony and you have the option of writing your own vows to each other and exchanging rings if you wish.
– Upon confirmation of your booking, we can provide you with a vow writing worksheet to assist you if you choose to write your own vows to each other. You will be provided with a copy of your legals only wedding wording so you know exactly what to expect on the day.
– We can provide a signing table if this is required at the location you have chosen.
– After your marriage has taken place, we will provide you with confirmation that your marriage documents have been lodged with BDM QLD (the department that registers your marriage) and we will provide you with information on receiving your registry issued marriage certificate and a check list for changing your last name through marriage.
If you are intending on inviting more than 10 guests or would like your marriage to take place elsewhere additional costs may apply.
Note: Ceremony music, microphone and a personalised ceremony is not included in our basic ‘legals only’ package. If you require these services, we can quote upon request. To include all these services and more within your ceremony our standard Celebrant fee applies.
Where can my ‘Legals Only’ wedding take place?
Your marriage can take place where ever you like. We have included some suggested locations below which are included in our standard ‘Legals Only’ fee. An additional fee may apply for alternative locations.
The loved up duo in the wedding highlight film below enjoyed a legals only style elopement ceremony at the Mt Coot-tha Botanical Gardens, and we just love how Memories Film represented their long distance relationship in their beautiful wedding film.
The happy couple rated Jamie 5 stars and had this to say:
“5 STARS – working with Jamie was such a breeze. He helped us with all the document preparation in the lead up to our wedding, and also on the day. If we had a question, we always received a quick response. We had a small elopement with just the 2 of us and our witnesses. But really, no event is too big or small for for him. 5 stars just don’t do him justice “
Lisa & Ricky – Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens Wedding with elopement Celebrant Jamie Eastgate.
If a legals only wedding sounds exactly like what you are looking for Contact us now for more information and to confirm availability for your special day. We would love to hear from you!